Click here for a map showing the location of loads of UK and Irish guitar societies, clubs and orchestras. It is produced and maintained by Ray Butcher; please let Ray know of any additions or changes.
- Alegria is based in Wareghem, Belgium. They came to visit us, and they put us in touch with Guitar’Essonne.
- Guitar ‘Essonne was the host for our tour to Paris in 2010, and visited us (together with Alegria) in 2013.
- HAGO – The CGO has a well established relationship with HAGO (the Hampshire Guitar Orchestra), a similar ensemble based in Havant, near Portsmouth.
- Hertfordshire Guitar Orchestra Founded in 1993 it has rapidly developed into a regularly performing concert orchestra. A musical policy that spans all styles from classical to rock to jazz to flamenco to world music and a repertoire that is immediate, often exciting and quite definitely “fun to play and fun to listen to” results in an immensely entertaining concert programme.
- Huntingdonshire Guitar Ensemble is a local group of guitarists – and includes several familiar faces from CGO.
Click here for a map showing the location of loads of UK and Irish guitar societies, clubs and orchestras. It is produced and maintained by Ray Butcher; please let Ray know of any additions or change.
- Bromley Guitar Society – The Bromley Guitar Society was founded in 1982 to encourage local (to Bromley) interest in the classical guitar. It meets once a month in Bromley, Kent.
- Enfield Classical Guitar Society – Meets first and third Fridays of each month in Enfield, North London.
- Greenwood Classical Guitar Society – Located at Hampton Hill, Middx., the society aims to encourage and develop classical guitar playing at weekly sessions and organised events.
- West Sussex Guitar Club – Was formed in 1993 by a group of classical guitar enthusiasts living in the Chichester and Bognor Regis area of West Sussex (UK).
- Worcester Classical Guitar Society – Andrew Filer (secretary): secretaryworcesterguitar.co.uk
Other Sites of interest
- Arlesey Music Club
- Classical Guitar Magazine – Classical Guitar Magazine web site.
- Classical Guitar Forum (aka “Delcamp”) – The online forum for classical guitar discussion, set up by Jean-François Delcamp
- Daniela Rossi – Daniela is a professional guitarist who regularly plays in Latin America, Europe and UK. She is currently based in Cambridge, where she also teaches.
- Dillington Guitar Summer School – Information on the Dillington Guitar Summer School.
- East Anglian Guitarists – A forum for guitarists around Cambridge and East Anglia (or further afield) to get together and play to each other.
- EGTA NL – European Guitar Teachers Association, Netherlands.
- Eleftheria Kotzia’s website – Eleftheria is a great guitarist who occasionally gives recitals in or around Cambridge. Look out for the next one! If you miss it, you’ll have to travel further afield … or book yourself a lesson 😉
- Forest Guitar Ensembles – Offers a range of music composed or transcribed for guitars (solos, duets, trios, quartets, orchestras) and other instruments. It encompasses a range of styles and levels including guitar ensembles for schools, amateur groups and for more advanced performers.
- Forte Notation – If you compose or arrange music, you may find a suitable product here. From time to time, someone from Forte lets me know about dead links in the CGO web site (thanks!).
- Gamlingay Guitars – A local company (with a showroom in Sandy) specialising in flamenco guitars which they import from Spain.
- Gert-Jan de Haas – A neuropsychologist with a difference: He is also a guitarist. So Gert-Jan and his colleagues are particularly interested in the brain’s functions (and dis-functions) when confronted with the particular demands of playing music: performance anxiety, memorising rapid (but very fine) movements, and so on.
- Greenwich Guitar Festival – Summer guitar course offering masterclasses, concerts and a great time for classical guitar players of all abilities and ages (though people under 18 need to be accompanied by an adult). The lessons take place at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance situated on the magnificent grounds of the Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich.
- Huntingdon Music School – The Huntingdonshire Music School provides lessons, theory & band/ensembles (including guitar) for approximately 400 between the ages of 4 and 84 – outside of work and school.
- www.lathkillmusic.co.uk – Classical guitar music published by Steve Marsh (tutor at Dillington Summer School).
- LeftwichGuitars – Ken Leftwich made Peter Rueffer’s terz guitar (see the link in Potpourri for more details – and you might spot Peter in Ken’s gallery)
- Peter Nuttall
- Sandarac Ltd – Specialise in high quality, yet affordable, European hand-crafted bowed instruments and solid body classical guitars designed for the intermediate to professional level player. There is a Cambridge stockist who is keen to establish links with local orchestras, societies, and players.
- Sibelius – Another product that will help you produce music scores.
- Specialgroove – Does not look classical, but one of our long standing members plays with them
- The Stafford Guitar Centre – Have an interesting range of instruments for sale. Our Tony also mentioned their courses, which are oriented more towards solo-playing than ensemble.
- Van Bergeijk Guitars
- Valérie Hartzell – CGO’s very own Musical Director is a professional guitarist with an on international performing and teaching career. She is also Musical Director for Classical Minds, the guitar festival based in Houston, Texas.
Free Music Websites
- Eric Hill’s Free Guitar Downloads
- John Williams
- Stanley Yates
- Free Scores.com
- Eythorsson and Guitarschool
- Richard Yates’ Classical Guitar Transcriptions
- Forrest Guitar Ensembles
- Syukhtun Editions
- Jean-François Delcamp’s pages
- The Classical Guitar Library (cglib.org)
- Quartets, trios duets and ensemble music for classical guitar – arranged or collected by Steve Nixon
- Bradford Werner’s website has lots of links to free (and chargeable) PDF notes, for example, for music by Johann Kaspar Mertz. Explore the site by searching for “free sheet” ….